Wednesday, June 4, 2014

5 Minute DIY: Onesie Applique using the Silhouette Cameo

I have plenty of plain, boring onesies for Miles that I think needed some sprucing up. Here is a quick and easy tutorial using my favorite machine... The Silhouette Cameo.
5 Minute DIY: Onesie Applique using the Silhouette Cameo | House of Hibbs 
What I love about the Silhouette is that I can make custom shapes and use it for anything... clothes, scrapbooking, vinyls... the list is endless.

 You need the following for this project:
  • Onesie (Here I use a white Gerber 6-9 month onesie)
  • Fabric of your choosing
  • Heat and Bond
  • Silhouette
Start by measuring out your fabric and Heat and Bond. I use sheets of 9''x11'' of each. Make sure and iron your fabric before you lay the Heat and Bond! Put the Heat and Bond transfer side down on top of the fabric.

Iron according to the package instructions. With the type I chose (Permanent, non-sew Heat and Bond) I pressed firmly for 3 seconds until bonded.

In the Silhouette software, choose your shape. I picked out an outline of Texas... super easy shape to cut. I've done many projects with words and more intricate shapes, but for the purpose of today I picked a simple one. Make sure you set the size of you page (9''x11") and size your design so that it will fit on your surface. (I used a shape about 5''x5'')

I've put a picture up of my cut settings. I have found that using the Fabric setting with a Double Cut is the most efficient. If you are using a heavier fabric (like canvas) make sure and adjust accordingly.

 
Here is my wonderful workstation. Make sure you have enough room behind your Silhouette so nothing hits the cutting mat.

Here is the fabric after it has been cut. Hard to see anything, but when you carefully peel off the rest of the fabric...

 Magic! A perfectly cut little Texas.

Carefully peel the fabric away from the white backing. The fabric applique will have a little sticky texture on the back. This is the side that will go down on the onesie.

Place and iron as directed by the Heat and Bond instructions. (8 seconds for me). Since I used permanent Heat and Bond the onesie can be run through the washing machine with no damage to the applique.
There we go... a 5 minute project that turns a plain onesie into something a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment